Friday, March 9, 2012

sunshine day

Today is a pretttty nice day in good 'ol San Diego. It is totally and completely sunny and warm, and there's even a bit of a breeze. But of course, as per usual, I have to be negative, and it's too hot. Too, too hot. I get sweaty and flustered and tired and yucky. Blech. Plus I don't have any shorts that fit. And I look like a vampire, because my skin hasn't seen the sun in a good 8 months. I'm sure people are blinded when I walk by.

The reason my skin hasn't seen sun in so long is because I'm usually freeeezing. I hate it when it's cold. So you'd think I would enjoy the heat. Not so much; that would be way too simple. There is a 5 degree temperature range that I find acceptable, and outside of that, I'm basically miserable. I know, it's ridiculous. And completely unrealistic.

As I reflect on this, I realize that most of us probably experience life this way. We have a small window in which we feel comfortable, and outside of that, it's easy to feel miserable. But staying inside that small window is unrealistic, because we are not always in control. Just like I can't control the weather, we can't control all of the different variables life throws at us. The hardest part is accepting that fact. I.am.not.in.control. Ooooh, that sentence literally makes my skin crawl. I thrive on control.

But alas, I can't control everything. I can only control myself and my reactions. And my wardrobe. So arm yourself with the right outfit and tackle the uncomfortable parts of life the best you can. Don't let yourself be miserable.

So this weekend, I'm going to embrace the heat and find my happy place. Get out your sunglasses, the vampire is coming out to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment